How to Create a Capability: Overview
This guide walks you through the process of authoring new capabilities, from setting up the environment to running the capability in production.
Understand the Superface Terms
First let's cover the terms you will deal with throughout this guide. The Superface capability consists of a Profile, Use-Cases, Map, and Provider. In other words:
Capability is a profile with use-cases mapped to a provider.
Let's unpack this:
- Capability represents a functionality that serves a business need. For example: sending emails, geocoding a postal address, or tracking a package.
- Profile is a file with extension
.suprwhich describes the capability both for the computer and the developer in the Comlink language. It consists of one or many use-cases.
- Use-Case describes a specific situation where the capability can be used - its expected input and result data. It's a part of the
.suprfile. For example:
- Map is a file with
.sumaextension written in the Comlink language. It connects the Use-Case to a Provider. It contains the provider-specific logic to fulfill the use-case: what API endpoints need to be called, how to format requests and responses, and how an authentication is performed.
- For example the Send Email capability can be fulfilled by many providers, e.g. Mailchimp, SendGrid, Postmark, and others.
- For each of these providers there is a separate
.sumafile which maps the profile to the respective provider.
- Provider is a JSON file describing a set of host URLs and security schemes that fulfill the capability. One provider can be shared among multiple capabilities.
What is Your Goal?
Depending on your needs, you can skip some parts of the guide to focus on your particular goal.
I Need a Completely New Capability
I want to launch a spaceship but there is no capability for that in your catalog!
Adding a new capability is covered by the guide. Start with Setup the development environment and then follow the next chapters. Once the capability works for you, consider publishing it into the catalog so other users can use it in their projects and map it to other providers.
I Want to Add a New Provider for the Existing Capability
I want to send emails with my favorite provider, but it's not in your catalog!
Ideally there is already a capability in the catalog which covers your need, but it cannot be performed with your preferred provider.
- Setup the development environment
- Add a new provider if the provider doesn't exist yet (it may be used by another capability)
- Map capability to a provider
I Have an Issue With an Existing Capability
I have tried a capability from the catalog, but it doesn't work!
Your map is using the provider's API incorrectly!
Most of the capabilities and providers maintained by Superface are located in the Station GitHub repository. If you have any issues or suggestions regarding the existing capabilities, feel free to report an issue or send a pull request!